It's late - 11:20pm - well, for me anyways... I can't sleep and my mind is spinning. I had the BEST day at work today, I got to head up a editing session on my own dvd project :) It was so exciting! I really have the best supervisors, they have a lot of faith in my ability and are really encouraging.
I also have been thinking a lot about all these relationships that I've been holding on to since I moved... There is something that changes when you move away. Some people drift away, some pull closer, and I've actually been surprised how some of my relationships have changed or grown in the last 2 months.
Distance acts like a revealing agent - because to hold on to a person that is so far away, you have to feel like they are worth the investment. You have to know that whether it's an email, a phone call or a short-term visit, they will continue to add value to your life. So distance reveals the people that want you in their life, and it makes you realize who you really want in yours.
I've grown an appreciation for my friendships... over my four years at GCSU I developed a small handful of amazing, intelligent, fascinating and genuine friends. And while I may be an optimist, I'm not naive and I realize that some of these people will still eventually slip out of my life. But for now - just knowing that they are still there for me as my friend, minus the Thursday night drunken memories and weekly lunch dates, means so much. It's probably the one last ounce of stability I have to hold on to. Since I've moved, everything has been a new adjustment, but my friends are the same familiar voices, the same cooky personalities, and a reassurement that I'm not in this alone.
I'm a person who embraces change, I find it exhilarating and motivating... but at times it's still nice to know that some things in life stay the same.
For those of you who fill my heart with friendship - I love you and miss you, thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment