The meaning of life... I don't really believe that it exists, or rather that it is the same for everyone. Yet, I can't stop wondering what it means for me... And beyond that, what does life mean to everyone else in the world? How many people have actually even stopped to question themselves? And, why do we all approach life differently?
I don't consider myself a "quote person." There are very few that make a lasting impression on me. Yet, last August, before I headed off with my two suitcases to the Big Apple, my dear uncle wrote me a letter. Unconventional is probably the best way to describe him... a perpetual cynic who would choose a three day solitary hike through the woods over a free trip to NYC. He's loves to read and spends most of his free time clearing his land to build a pawpaw fruit tree orchard. Although I lean toward a more optimistic approach to life - I admire his wisdom and individuality.
The letter was short, and reads as follows:
"You're off to the land of too much to do and not enough time to do it all. Personal observation on my part, you don't have to do it all (with the corollary that much of it is not worth doing anyway). That being said, you have many exciting times ahead. Please keep in touch and also know that many people love you.
From an old mariner's handbook: Know where you are; from time to time take a look at the track you've traveled; know that most courses have to be altered, and always keep an eye to the weather."
Truthfully - at first, I thought this was another cynical rant from my Uncle. His way of telling me that I was making a big mistake by moving to "the concrete jungle" as he would call it. But now I see things differently... I find a lot of wisdom in his words. Every time I read it I am reminded that life is a journey, complete with many obstacles, failures and triumphs. I've only set out on the beginning of my travels, there is a lot of living I've yet to do, and I'd be foolish to think that I have any clue where I'll be in 10, 20 or 50 years.
Yet most reassuring is "that most courses have to be altered." I'm sure I'll encounter a few forked paths along my journey, as well as a spot or two where I deem it's simply best to turn around and retrace my steps. All along having to remind myself that an altered course never signifies failure. Instead, it's simply the byproduct of introspection and the pursuit of being true to oneself.
That said, I feel a change in the wind coming soon, and I look forward to many more adventures and spending my time with the people I love.
No comments:
Post a Comment