Great News!! I got the apartment I wanted in Manhattan... I'm a true New Yorker!! I move in this Saturday and will have to sleep on an air mattress for a week until my parents can come up on the 22nd with my bed and tv and computer and stuff. That will be an adventure... my dad with his brand new Quad-cab Toyota Tundra, loaded down with a queen size bed and boxes, driving into Manhattan, finding a place to park and moving all my stuff to the 25th floor of a high rise!! Nothin like Monroe meets Manhattan...
Oh, but it feels so great to not have to worry about finding a place anymore! Now I can stop spending 4 hours of my day commuting and start spending my time doing the things I want to do!
Work went great today... I finally got to just jump into it and get some things done. I got a quick run-down of our entire billing system and got to update and send out my first Billing report to the clients and account team. The picture of how everything works together is starting to get a little clearer in my mind. Plus I ordered my business cards, filled out the paperwork for my health insurance and signed up for our company Mentor program. There is another new AAE right across the hall from me, she is really nice and it's good to have her there because we just go back and forth asking if the other has figured out how to do something yet. I really love my job because every day, every week, is different. It keeps things fun and keeps you learning... but at the same time, it makes it take longer to get initially adjusted. I'm sure it won't be too long before I'll have most of it figured out.
Today was also the 5th anniversary of 9/11... it was a little strange being in Manhattan. I kinda expected things to be really different and see people crying on the subway or something, but in most ways it was just like any other day. Except the trains and buses were running a little slower and there were more cops in the subway stations than I have ever seen. I even got to work late today because for some reason the express NJ Transit train that I take from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station stopped running and the policeman all started saying to the crowd "the express train to NY is no longer running, you have to take the PATH to NY Penn Station." It threw everybody off and people started cramming into the turnstiles to get onto the PATH train... but eventually it settled down and I made it to work just fine, except for being there 20 mins later than I expected. But otherwise it was a fairly normal day... no crying widows on the subway, no protests, no memorials, just big front page newspaper spreads and the normal blank subway stares that I see everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment